How to Pick the Perfect Musician for Your Wedding
Picking your wedding entertainment is a tall order. Whether you pick a live musician/band or a DJ, you want someone who will keep your guests entertained and make your wedding day one to remember forever.
If you’ve decided to go with a musician, small group, ensemble or band, there’s plenty of work left to do ! To help, we’ve developed a list of steps to follow when picking out musicians for your wedding.
How to Pick Live Wedding Entertainment
1. Consider your budget. As with everything else on your wedding day, music expenses can quickly add up. If you’re getting married away from the city, you may have to pay a travel fee.
In general, the bigger the band, the higher the costs. The reason: In addition to paying for the time, talent, and experience of each individual member, you’re also paying for the transportation of all instruments and any necessary sound equipment.
Research from The Knot found that the average wedding band costs more than $4,000. With that in mind, it may be more affordable to search for smaller bands or even a quartet to keep your wedding day under budget.
2. Consider what sort of music you want to hear for your wedding entertainment. You have multiple moments to consider when picking music for your big day:
- Wedding Ceremony
- Cocktail hour
Each moment demands a different sound, and your ideal wedding musician or band should be capable of performing for each part.
Another factor to consider: Many musicians specialize in a genre. During your wedding music research, you may find:
- Big bands
- Cover bands
- Traditional musicians and groups, including solo violinists, string duos, string trios, and string quartets
Some musicians specialize in specific styles and may not be comfortable outside of their musical zone, so keep that in mind when picking out a live act for your wedding.
3. Do your wedding entertainment research before making phone calls. Your wedding band or performer will set the tone for the entire evening, so make sure you have someone you trust. Internet reviews on WeddingWire, The Knot and Google are a good starting point.
But don’t stop there. Check with your wedding planner or the venue for your wedding reception to see if they have someone they recommend. These individuals often have trusted industry connections to help you find the perfect fit.
4. Get specific with your questions. Once you’ve narrowed it down to your favorites, ask specifics:
- What’s on your play list ? The song list will give you a better idea of what the band already knows—and it could give you new ideas for picking out your wedding playlist.
- Will you learn new songs for our wedding ? This is a great question to ask even if the band or musicians already know all the music you want.
- How many singers and instruments are available ? This question gives you better insight into what your wedding ceremony and wedding reception may sound like.
- Can someone in the band be our emcee for the evening ? Having a great emcee is a must for your wedding, and many bands have a frontman or frontwoman who is charismatic enough to do an excellent job emceeing.
- How many breaks does the band need ? This will give you a better idea of how much down time your evening will have.
- Can the band provide extras, like uplighting or photobooths ? If so, you may be able to use their resources at a lower cost than through another vendor.
- Have you played at the venue before ? If so, they are more likely to understand how the sound will travel in the space, letting them make any necessary adjustments before entertaining.
Picking the right musician for your wedding doesn’t have to be difficult. By following a few simple steps, you can streamline the process and find someone your guests will love as much as you do.
Steven Vance has provided high-quality corporate entertainment and wedding music for over 20 years and more than 10,000 special events in Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland, DC, Virginia, New York, and surrounding areas.
Steven Vance Entertainment
YES, we are doing micro-weddings and mini-ceremonies. Ask us to put together a special package for you to get married NOW with all the style, class and fun our music can add.
FRIDAY JULY 3
Steve will play Solo Acoustic Violin for a "Secret" Wedding Ceremony at a home in Somerset for the Bride's Grandmother.
SATURDAY JULY 4
Steve will play Solo Acoustic Violin for a mini-Ceremony at Armstrong Farms in Saxonburg.
PopRock Electric Violinist Joyce will be at the Bella Sera in Canonsburg to play a Ceremony.
SUNDAY JULY 5
PopRock Electric Violinist Joyce will be at the White Barn in Prospect to play a Ceremony.
FACEBOOK LIVE GIGS. We've had a wonderful turnout for these so we plan to keep doing at least one every week. The next one will be this weekend. Maybe on Independence Day. Update soon. Electric Violin live from my back deck - if it's nice.
Go to my Facebook page (link below) to watch. LIKE my page so you can check announcements and see invites. SHARE with your friends are my new friends. In the meantime, you can also watch all of the sessions (12) we've done so far. Many of them are now posted on our YouTube Channel.
PopRock Cello plays "Best Day Of My Life" by the American Authors
PopRock Violinist Charles playing Justin Bieber's "Love Yourself"
Steve plays Electric Violin on the new Duo Lipa song "Don't Start Now"
"Steve was a must-have for our wedding as he did my sister's 8 years ago (and we loved him) and should be a must-have for your event! Not only does he do an amazing job MC'ing and DJ'ing, and running the event, but the live violin - WOW! The violin adds elegance to your event that guests will continue to talk about for years to come. Steve also is an expert in the field, leaving no worries for the bride-to-be in the event. I knew our reception would run perfectly with him in charge and it did. Highly recommend!!" Paige & Russ 3/14/20 Soldiers & Sailors Hall
“My husband and I cannot recommend Steven Vance and his team enough! We first encountered Steven Vance at a cousin’s wedding in October of 2018 and we absolutely fell in love with the unique blend of pop-rock violin with DJing! For our own wedding, we had the absolute pleasure of working with Nate Goodrich. During the planning process, Nate did a wonderful job of ensuring that he understood exactly what we wanted and helped make sure the flow of the evening was perfect! Nate did an absolutely incredible job ensuring that our cocktail hour and reception went perfectly. For our cocktail hour, Nate performed a variety of pop-rock violin selections that we and our guests absolutely loved. To this day we are receiving compliments on how wonderfully he played and how unique the experience was. To say the least, having Nate perform during the cocktail hour definitely took our wedding to the next level! As for the reception, he did an EXCELLENT job of keeping our guests on the dance floor and having a good time! What was most impressive is that he selected music that kept guests of all ages moving! Along with the wonderful music selections, Nate did an amazing job of keeping the evening well-paced without feeling rushed. Overall, we would absolutely recommend Nate Goodrich to anyone who is planning a wedding! Thanks to Nate, we had an absolutely unforgettable wedding day!” Zach & Rose 2/29/20 Marriott Hotel Cranberry Electric Violin & DJ Nate
SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 13 - RESCHEDULED FROM SUNDAY MARCH 29 AND JUNE 14
Look for us at the Pittsburgh Bridal Showcase at the David Lawrence Convention Center from 12-4:30 PM.