How To Pick Music For Your Wedding: 5 Factors To Consider
Picking the music for your wedding may seem like an easy task, but many couples find it can become surprisingly difficult when you sit down to finally do it. The challenge grows even tougher if you and your partner have different tastes in music.
To help, we’ve compiled a helpful guide for picking the right music for your wedding day.
Picking Music For Your Wedding Reception and Ceremony
Here’s how to make sure your big day sounds as pretty as it looks:
1. Decide on your aesthetic. Some questions you should ask yourself:
- Do I want my wedding to be formal or informal? You want your music to match the aesthetic of your decor and the guests’ attire.
- Do I want traditional music or modern music? Once you know the time period you want your music to come from, you can narrow down your selection.
- Do I have concerns about offending people? If so, you may want to check our list of inappropriate wedding songs.
2. Think about the moments you want to highlight. Most couples decide to have a special song highlight the biggest moments of the ceremony and reception. That could include moments like:
- Mom’s Processional
- Bridesmaids Procession
- Bride’s Procession
- Introduction Music
- First Dance
- Cake Cutting
Decide on which moments your wedding ceremony and reception will have, then start your music selection. For assistance, use our Planning Resources or visit our roundup of popular wedding ceremony and reception songs.
3. Look for inspiration. There are plenty of ways to come up with great songs for your wedding day:
- Think of the songs that have been important in your relationship with your fiancé. Maybe there was a romantic song on a playlist you made for the other person, or maybe there’s a song you discovered on a road trip together.
- Look through YouTube for songs other people have played at their wedding.
- Flip through our list of song recommendations for your wedding ceremony and reception. You can’t go wrong with the tried-and-true favorites !
- Watch your favorite romantic comedies and listen to the soundtrack in the background. You’ll likely find a track you both love, and you can also turn this into a movie night for you and your fiancé!
4. Decide on a DJ or a live musician/band. The decision on who’s performing the music can be just as impactful as the music itself. The individual in charge of the music on your big day is also in charge of keeping the day moving and feeling out the crowd to make sure everyone remains happy and upbeat. Remember: Whether you go with a DJ or live musicians, you may need to alert them ahead of time if you want to play an unusual or lesser-known song. DJs will have to make sure they have access to the track on-site, and musicians made need to add the tune to their repertoire.
5. Does it sound cohesive? Once you have decided on your wedding music playlist, listen to it from start to finish to make sure it sounds cohesive. If you decide to play “Uptown Funk” by Mark Ronson between “Shape of My Heart” (by The Backstreet Boys) and “(God Must Have Spent) A Little More Time On You” (by ‘NSYNC), you’ll certainly raise a few eyebrows.
With the right music selected, you can ensure the most important day in your relationship is as beautiful as you always envisioned.
Steven Vance has provided high-quality corporate entertainment and wedding music for over 20 years and more than 10,000 special events in Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland, DC, Virginia, New York, and surrounding areas.
Steven Vance Entertainment
YES, we are doing micro-weddings and mini-ceremonies. Ask us to put together a special package for you to get married NOW with all the style, class and fun our music can add.
KEEPING UP WITH STEVE
SATURDAY DECEMBER 5
PopRock Electric Violin and DJ Package for a Wedding Ceremony at Mansions On Fifth and then the Reception at Lemont.
We will also have performers at Phipps Conservatory.
New Years Eve at Rivers Casino from 5-10 PM in their new restaurant. More specifics soon.
FACEBOOK LIVE and IGTV
Sunday December 6. My plan is to play for an hour on Facebook Live and then do another hour on Instagram IGTV. Late afternoon or early evening. Times to be announced soon.
Electric Violin live from my home. Go to my Facebook page (link below) and my Instagram page @StevenVanceEntertainment to watch. LIKE my page so you can check announcements and see invites. SHARE with your friends are my new friends. In the meantime, you can also watch all of the sessions (15) we've done so far. Many of them are now posted on our YouTube Channel. Click the icon above. The next one will be posted here and on our Facebook and Instagram pages.
Steve plays Electric Violin on "Circles" by Post Malone PopRock Electric Cello plays "Best Day Of My Life" by the American Authors Cadillac Jazz Trio (Sax, Keyboards and Bass) plays "All The Things You Are" PopRock Violinist Charles May plays Justin Bieber's "Love Yourself" Steve plays Electric Violin on the new Duo Lipa song "Don't Start Now"
See over 450 videos on our YouTube Channel. Enjoy !
"Juan was amazing! He communicated with us and helped us to pick more contemporary songs that would work well for the solo violin we booked. Our guests loved the acoustics of the violin in the smaller church we used and it helped to make our day that much better. I would definitely recommend!" Ashley & Matthew 10/17/20 Old Stone Church Solo Violin "We used the Steven Vance String Trio for our wedding ceremony and it was AMAZING. We received so many compliments on how lovely it made the ceremony. They did an incredible job and were very easy and professional to work with." Courtney & Marc 10/10/20 St. Margaret Mary Church AAA String Trio "Would recommend Steven Vance’s company to anyone! We booked their DJ package for our wedding and I’m so glad we did! Steve was extremely courteous through the whole process and helped us book the appropriate package for us. We worked with DJ Vanessa for our wedding and she was so wonderful. Awesome personality and truly cares about giving you the perfect day. She took time to get to know us and really listened to our music preferences and played the perfect mix of songs/genres. She had great energy for announcements and really ensured the reception transitions ran smoothly. It was an awesome experience from start to finish with Steven Vance and I’d absolutely work with them again!" Jordan & Matt 10/17/20 Southpointe Golf Club DJ Vanessa "I’d like to pass along my sincerest gratitude to DJ Mike Greca. He made our wedding experience so wonderful and was truly a delight. He was professional, on time and prepared, and a fabulous MC for our wedding! We appreciate everything and could not have asked for a better DJ."
"I’m on my way to my honeymoon, but I wanted to send you a quick email to say thank you. Tiffany and Lorenzo were both fantastic and made sure my wedding was wonderful. Tiffany’s music was stunning, and it was easy to work with her. But what I really wanted to let you know was how wonderful Renzo was! He went above and beyond for me the entire time I was working with him. He was very communicative and easy to talk to in advance. He made sure he had all the info he needed. He was professional, and fun to work with. And he was a great DJ! Set everything up very well, kept the guests entertained, on the dance floor, and kept my timeline going. I know he will do excellent work for many more of your brides in the future!"
Tuesday 12/8/20 Virtual Rainbow Network Wedding Show in Columbus. 7:00. Open to all. FREE Registration.
Several coming up pending health restrictions. Updates soon.